Province: green hydrogen mainly for industrial and transport purposes
Green hydrogen plays an important part in the transition to sustainable industry and mobility. It is why the Province has developed a hydrogen vision for Zuid-Holland.
Hydrogen enables the storage and long-distance transport of (sustainably generated) electricity and therefore has a key role in the future of sustainable energy and raw materials. This applies in particular to Zuid-Holland, with its intensive manufacturing industry, mobility, knowledge and its role as access portal to Europe.
6 priorities for Zuid-Holland
The hydrogen vision contains 6 specific priorities on which the Province wants to work during the 2019-2023 coalition period.
- The further development of the green hydrogen production
- The port as hydrogen import and transit hub
- The development of a freely accessible hydrogen infrastructure (for instance pipelines)
- The further development of the demand for hydrogen as resource and energy carrier for the manufacturing industry
- The development of hydrogen as energy carrier for mobility: in particular heavy long-distance transport, for instance lorries and inland vessels
- The role of hydrogen in the energy system: buffering (storing) and transporting energy to absorb peaks in supply and demand (balancing)
Although the Province does support a pilot in Stad aan ’t Haringvliet to acquire knowledge of the use of hydrogen in residential areas, large-scale use in cities and residential areas is not a priority in the short term. That will require a lot of further innovation and development.